Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Edge of Not So Much Glory



First and foremost, I secretly pride myself on being a lover of all things 80's. My go to albums are called Monster's of Rock, Monster Ballads, and Big Hair Rocks. Really. I'm not lying. Okay, maybe I was on that last one. But, I am here to tell you, Brett Michael's is STILL hot and spandex is not just for working out people!! Its reeeeeeally comfortable! Davey, help me out here.  

Possibly the best thing about that decade? Big hair...Great Bands... and most of all, the dance move that has no name... the skip, snap and spin around. You know it. Its the move that we all envision ourselves doing to any great song. You can't tell me that at one time you didn't want to dance like Lee Montgomery in "Girls Just want to have Fun." Come on people, best example of 80's dancing EVER!! That hair! Those hammer pants! But... that's a tangent for another time. 

The whole point of my "I love the 80's" rant is that when Lady Gaga's, "Edge of Glory" came out on the radio, I was dancing (in my head of course) like a neon wearing, big haired, ripped tights freak. What can possibly be more inspiring than an 80's inspired dance hit that rocks the saxophone? Ill tell you what. An 80's inspired dance hit that rocks the sax AND that I can do the skip, snap and spin move too! Sadly though, when the Lady Gaga music video came out I had an expectation that was NOT fulfilled. 

Yes, Yes, I know, I know,  the legendary Laurieanne Gibson was "supposedly" the choreographer on this video. Why do you think I was so pumped?!! Laurieanne is the EPITOME of great 80's dance videos. Janet Jackson anyone? But seriously, exactly WHAT did she choreograph in this monstrosity? The hookeresque quality of her street walking? The odd back bend over the concrete rail? Or the over kill of sidewalk steam... REALLY? Soooo disappointing. Could you please throw in one more oddly placed fist pump for me? Or better yet, encourage Lady Gaga to rub her butt up on the brick wall and spread her legs apart a few more times. There is a reason why So You Think You Can Dance cut the premier of the video short. It was embarrassing!!! What a waste of a good saxophone....

1 comment:

  1. So I'm about to offend all you Gaga lovers out there but it's not my fault. I can't help it if Lady Gaga is ridiculous. Who names themselves Laday Gaga?? First of all that name screams, "I'm TRYING to be cool" and "I think I'm awesome so you should, too (in a negative way)" And second of all, the LAST thing she is is a Lady. Her Edge of Glory video prooves that. She trying to be sexy and it's just not working. She doesn't look feminie, she doesn't look strong or independant; nothing that says, "Hey I'm a real lady, I deserve respect." Truth is she looks like man doll with her short, Cruella Devil hair and her robot outfit.
    In short, I don't like her. She's cocky and isn't THAT talented. AND just when I kinda, sorta started to WANT to like her, she comes out with this video. Lame!
    That said, I do actually like the song, one of the few Gaga songs I like, so I'll be listening to the song without EVER watching the video again.
    So now that I've offended half the population...feel free to judge me for what I've said because I'll just judge you back for falling into the trance of a wannabe who somehow tricked the world into thinkings it's cool to have ugly, pointy bones and never smile.

    ReplyDelete